Thanks for a great Reunion weekend!
Please join us on campus on Friday, May 11. Activities include lunch, a conversation with Beaver faculty, tours, and a cocktail party in the evening where we will recognize alumni award recipients.
On Saturday, May 12, classes are planning their own parties off campus. You will receive a separate invitation for the off-campus parties from your class representative.
Friday, May 11
|11:30 a.m.||Registration Begins|
|12:00 p.m.||Luncheon Honoring All Reunion Classes and Joan Rosen Marks ’47, Distinguished Alumni Award Recipient|
|1:30 p.m.||Class Photos in Front Circle|
|2:00 p.m.||Tours of School|
|2:30 p.m.||A Conversation with Beaver Faculty|
|3:30 p.m.||Tours and Tea|
|6:00 p.m.||Cocktail Party|
|7:00 p.m.||Musical Performance and Alumni Awards Presentation|
|7:30 p.m.||50th Reunion, 40th Reunion, and 35th Reunion Dinners|
Saturday, May 12
Class specific events off campus.
|Class of 1962||Dinner, Lynn Palmiter’s home, Cohasset|
|Class of 1967||Dinner, Betsy Moore Mill’s home, Essex|
|Class of 1982||Create a Cook, Newton|
|Classes of 1987 & 1992||Panificio, Boston|
|Classes of 1997, 2002, 2007||Union Street, Newton|
The following alumni are working on Reunion. Please let us know if you can help out too by contacting Shira Lewin ’92, Director of Alumni Relations at email@example.com.
|2007||Dani Levy, Jo Jo Gutfarb|
|2002||Kyle Johnson, Sarah Weiner Porwick, Ronny Bachrach|
|1997||Rob Kurson, Jake Mnookin|
|1992||Jonathan Paris, Adam Mehl|
|1987||Brian Gardiner, Chris Spagnuolo, Jen Hartman|
|1982||Susan Blumenfeld, Lisa Patten, Susan Goldstein, Dan Miller, Chris Cameron, Greg Rudolph|
|1967||Betsy Moore Mills, Leslie Godoff|
|1962||Nancy Tucker Barnes, Lynn Palmiter, Sylvia Thorndike Sheriff, Grace Calfee McMullen, Marianna Marshall Long, Eva Reissner Ewing, Betsey Rosenberg Goodwin, Susan Roberts Boyle, Susan Neer Weisenfluh, Janet Burt Chalmers, Jo Prudden Drummond|
Alumni Award Recipients, 2012
- Distinguished Alumna/us: Joan Rosen Marks ’47
- Joan Rosen Marks ’47 was the director of Sarah Lawrence College’s Human Genetics Program for 26 years. She defined the role of the genetic counselor and shaped it into the essential force that it is today in the field of medical genetics. In 2006 Sarah Lawrence named the program the “Joan H. Marks Graduate Program in Human Genetics” in recognition of Joan’s contribution to the field. There are now nearly 3000 masters level Certified Genetic Counselors in the US as well as 43 graduate programs in this country based on the Sarah Lawrence model. In 2003, Joan was the first woman and first non-M.D. to receive the Excellence in Human Genetics Education Award given by the American Society of Human Genetics.
- Service Award: Sonja Rudder Spears ’82
- Sonja Rudder Spears ’82 is a member of Beaver’s Board of Trustees and an active parent in the Beaver community. As a trustee, Sonja serves on the Executive Committee, the Governance and Leadership Committee, which she has chaired for the past two years, and is also a member of the Nuvu Committee. For Beaver’s Parents’ Association she has served as a liaison with the Admissions Office. We are very grateful for the wise counsel, balanced approach and ability to gracefully reach consensus with any group that she has brought to the many and varied volunteer activities she is involved with at Beaver.
- Outstanding Young Alumna/us: Will Van Dyke ’02
- Will Van Dyke ’02 is a New York City based composer, lyricist and musical director. Will currently serves as the musical director/conductor for the critically acclaimed 2011 revival of RENT. Other Broadway/Tours include The Addams Family, Wicked, Grease, 9 to 5, and The Book Of Mormon. As a composer Will has written songs for Pages, Winnie The Pooh KIDS!, The Girls I’ve Like Liked, That Pageant Show, We Three Kings, The Grass Is Always Greener, as well as the forthcoming The Lion King KIDS!/JR., The Gospel According To Stevie B, and Magnificent Climb (with Rick Elice). Will has been heard on television on The Late Show with David Letterman, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The CBS Early Show, as well as the final broadcast of LIVE! with Regis and Kelly. Recordings include Chasing The Day: The Songs Of Will Van Dyke and Daylight(with Matt Doyle) which debuted on iTunes Pop Charts in the top 40.
- Driscoll Award for Social Responsibility: Jacob Mnookin ’97
- Jacob Mnookin ’97 is lead founder and executive director of Coney Island Prep Charter School in Brooklyn, NY. Upon graduating from Middlebury College in 2002, Jacob joined Teach For America and taught for three years. Following graduation from Princeton with a Masters in Public Affairs and a Masters in Urban & Regional Planning, Jacob received a fellowship from Building Excellent Schools, a full-time, comprehensive training program in charter school leadership that trains individuals to design, found and operate high-performing urban charter schools. With this fellowship, he founded Coney Island Prep which opened its doors in 2009 to 90 fifth graders.
We welcome your suggestions for future alumni awards. Please send the nominee’s name and a short justification for why you believe that person deserves special recognition in one of the four categories above to Shira Lewin ’92, Director of Alumni Relations.
If you would like to help organize your class’s next reunion, or host an alumni event in your area, please contact Shira Lewin ’92.